MyPlayLists is a new app on the app store developed by Jonathan Teboul. When first testing this app I initially liked the basic concept. With MyPlaylists on the iPhone and iPod touch, you can create and edit your playlists without iTunes.
- Create and edit new playlists with songs from your iPod library
- Import and edit existing play lists (the original playlists can’t be edited, it’s just a copy)
- Control the music : play, pause, skip, repeat, shuffle
Well unfortunately “liking the concept” is where the positive’s ended with this app for me. The problem was it was incredibly unstable for me while testing on my 2nd generation iPod Touch, and I can’t stand buggy/unstable apps. The button controls were very slow to respond to touch and sometimes totally unresponsive. This alone prevented me from being able to use the app to its full potential. I do somewhat like the no frills approach taken with the app in that it launches straight to the main app controls, however I do believe even that could have been ramped up a little. If this app wasn’t buggy I would be inclined to give it a respectable 3 fingers, but as long as these issues exist I have no choice but to give it a 1 finger rating.
Other then fixing the bug issues I do have some other items to add to a future wishlist for MyPlayLists, that would give it greater functionality and usability. These include:
- Easier navigation with better graphics and use of colors
- Ability to separate already selected songs from unselected one’s when editing an existing playlist. (This is a big one)
- Advanced sorting/searching/filtering options for music
Though I am down on MyPlayLists on this review, I do like the concept and I believe like many bugs this may be prevalent for some users and not others, or perhaps just on specific platforms, like the 2nd generation iPod touch that I used. If these minor problems can be fixed this is a no-brainer app to download. Until then proceed with caution.